Wednesday, November 02, 2005

After 9 months!

Wow, it has been such a long time since I put in the first post. What ever it is I seem inspired to place a second exactly 9 months later. Why? Hey, the last time I came here there was just a single comment. Now I see a whole lot more as well. And some not exactly complimentary either. Like as if I am going to lose sleep over it. But I guess ABM has inadvertently directed some commentators my way. Thank you buddy! Hope you've now relieved yourself of all that anger!

But I'll have to admit that I am not really committed to maintain this blog on a consistent basis or for that matter frequency is not exactly something I am going to commit to. One day I might say nice things about the weather and the next I might be nasty even if there has not been a change in the weather. So don't expect to predict how I am going to go with any issue or topic or what ever.

I guess most of you visitng here come through some of my postings elsewhere. No I don't really intend to generate any kind of interest in my point of view on my blog where I can rant and rave. I guess a more apt description would be ramble. But you see, I don't really trust myself to hold to any point of view for two long because I am the first to admit that no one really stands on firm foundations for long. My favourite explanation for this is "the pyramid has 4 sides. Which ever side you stand you see a completely different view. The further up you go the more of the horizon that you see. Your perspective changes on every step up. And when you finally reach the top you get a 360 degree view on a single turn. "

Life is like going up a pyramid. The higher up you go the greater your perspective and lesser is your concern for anything within arms length. Like if you were to stare close up into the mouth of a kitten it could really be scarry. Move away and its the most cute little kitten. (Still don't know how to put pictures here, to impact you with what I just said, so you got to bear with the rambling.) Responses are different and can be different depending on how near or how far you are standing from the point of reference. This is why, I suppose I tend usually to agree with most points of views as seen from the posters view. After all that is all that he sees and he is telling you as he sees it.

However, sometimes when we know better, it is how we deal with what we know to be a wrong view that may define us. What I hate most is responses that are dismissive. You know the kind when your boss or a colleague tells you what you've done or just said is rubbish and disses you for that? You are left with absolutely no room for defending yourself and that other chap stands ahead of you and scores one more against you. One of those times when a colleague did that to me I turned around and asked him, what special qualifications or experience or knowledge that he had that he could be dismissive of what I had just said. And then I told him I would accept his dismissal of what I had just said if he could explain himself and justify his position. He was stumpped. I pushed him despite trying to withdraw the earlier dismissal. Well, that was the last time he ever got the better of me by dissing me or what is worse is dismissing what I say.

I think everything that anyone says has validity within the context within which it is said. However, inappropriate it might be so long as it is within the context of a certain attitude or a certain disposition or a certain position that person has taken. Context in this case has also got to take into account the audience and not just the speaker or the writer. We all laugh most of the time listening to Bart Simpson. We know him. We know the context and we put ourselves into his audience and really it somehow seems all o.k. to listen to all his political incorrectness. Yet, when, lets say, I were to say it or write about it, walla, you can choose to take a certain position and view what I said in the most damning way and make a mountain out of a molehill.

So you see, it is not just the writer or the speaker. It can also be you, the reader or the listener. You could choose to ignore it. Or you could choose to look at it as something inappropriate said against you. Really, how you respond is a matter of how you choose to look at it. A lot of what happened over the petertan and xiaxue blogattle (battle of the blogs) was nothing but just that. A matter of chosing to look at it in a negative way and to allow that view to direct your actions.

If only one was to stop and look for a bit even if the posting had been offensive, the options open to the kind of response that would be appropriate would have been manifold. The nature of response in a way suggests what drives the respondant. Obviously there was hate and anger when this was not called for. Furthermore, Xiaxue has always been one whose views you could read and laugh at and be entertained or you could just dismiss as no more than a ranting as that is all that it appears for you to do. I would not totally dismiss Xiaxue as she provides a window to the mind of a 21 year old brat. And I would rather know what to expect long before my kids come of that age so that I shall never be too old for them.

As for Abettermalaysia, he was indeed disappointing. He has gone off the radar now. Some questions I asked have till now gone unanswered. Like why it is only what allegedly happened to him was so dastardly. He did not seem to care that he did not even know of the multitude of abuses that others have undergone. I guess he expected sympathy. But I also know that not many would stand by him all the way through the battle he was preparing himslef for. It is no point relying on all those cheering him on. I know for sure how good that is. And of course he had to also deffer to his parents and what was supposed to be good for him.

It was not like as if I was laughing at him. I guess I was pushing him to see what he was up against and if indeed he had the stomach for the road ahead. And of course as he seemed to be going ahead, it was only appropriate to show some cautious support. I guess that was wrong on my part. I should have stuck with my original stand requiring him to show that he knew of all the abuses that had preceded his and to show his own sympathy. anyway, tha tis all water under the bridge as one would say...there seems like Abettermalaysia is now no more anyway.

Hooray....I actually think I have got something there after 9 months....Maybe would have been better to let things go ah!

2 Comments:

At November 3, 2005 at 1:43 PM, Blogger chong y l said...

I just read your latest coment at ABM.

yes, that sheltered kid just wnt home to suckle mum's nipples after flaming the police force to the ground. To me he's just a kid who ventured into a kitchen and could not stand the heat -- now he's joined some mourners at the graveyard -- as quiet as a mouse. He might be safe there, after taking many of us for a fright ride, sounds like a story from Elm St...'ollywood! ' may stand for C, D,J or M or -- ABM laughs, "see damn johns of mine!"
April 1, 2006 came early for some kids!

 
At November 10, 2005 at 1:40 PM, Blogger Hartz said...

HEy there..

After what i've read in ur blogs..wow..really impressive..

you certainly know what to blog.
And about ABM's..u do give good advise.Be yourself my dear one.

And keep up the good work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home